August 5, 2022
Dear Valued Tourism Industry Partners,
The City is buzzing with the usual August excitement as we begin the countdown to one of our most beloved hometown events, the East Coast Surfing Championship sponsored by Coastal Edge, and presented by Vans. ECSC, as locals and long-timers call it, is celebrating its 60th year in 2022 and this year’s lineup is sure to please.
The 60th Annual Coastal Edge East Coast Surfing Championship Presented by Vans- In a bit over two weeks, several hundred surfers from Menehunes to Masters compete for East Coast surfing titles, prizes, history and the sheer love of surfing. Other beach-oriented sports and recreation include Action Sports: The Vans Pro World Surf League (WSL) 3000 Qualifier, the Quicksilver Roxy Supergrom Presented by Wes Lane, Vans Pro Autograph Signings, the Coastal Edge Thrash Skate Bash. Art and Fashion: The Coastal Edge East Coast Surfing Championship Featured Artist Onie Tonie, the Vans International Artist Live Painting, the Coastal Edge Rock the Block Fashion Show. Sustainability: Surfrider Foundation Virginia Chapter Beach Cleanups, Coastal Edge Hydration Stations, The Coastal Edge Sustainability Village. Music: The Audacy Oceanfront Concerts (use QR code below to purchase tickets). Check their website regularly for updates. All the fun starts on 8/21. Join us in the countdown!
Applications Now Open for Virginia Tourism Corporation (VTC) Microbusiness Marketing Leverage Program Grants - VTC is offering a reimbursable grant program to assist small tourism-related businesses and to bolster non-peak seasonal visitation. The grant application period opened yesterday, Aug. 4, 2022, with applications due by Sept. 20, 2022. Eligible applicants should be tourism-related businesses that have 20 or fewer full-time equivalent employees and can include, but are not limited to: boutique retail shops, food trucks, attractions, craft breweries, distilleries, wineries, boutique lodging and Bed & Breakfasts, outfitters, and events and festivals focused on attracting visitors during low visitation times. Examples of marketing expenses that are eligible include, but are not limited to: digital advertising, social media boosts and sponsored ads, print advertising, hiring photographers and videographers, rack card printing and placement costs at Virginia Welcome Centers and Safety Rest Areas, display and promotional materials for trade shows and events.
Components of the grant program include:
- Who is eligible: Small tourism-related business with 20 or fewer full-time equivalent employees that can include but are not limited to boutique retail, restaurants, food trucks, small attractions, craft breweries, distilleries, wineries, boutique lodging, and B & Bs, outfitters, and events/festivals focused on non-peak seasonal visitation.
- Additional eligibility: Destination Marketing Organizations (DMOs) and groups such as Planning District Commissions, Economic Development Authorities (EDA’s), and Main Street organizations.
- Application Requirements: A targeted and research-based marketing plan that demonstrates how applicants will use the grant money for marketing and promotions to fulfill the purposes of the grant program.
- Match Requirement: 1:1 cash or in-kind marketing match.
- Maximum Award: $5,000
- Application Period: Opens: August 4, 2022. Closes September 20, 2022.
Town Center Plaza SummerFest Continues - Click here to see the lineup for this free concert series on the Town Center Fountain Plaza, courtesy of the Central Business District Association. The entertainment begins at 5:30 p.m. nightly throughout summer.
As always, my team and I remain committed to you and our industry. Please let me know how we can assist.